Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.



Our Community

Nackawic, a naturalist’s paradise, is nestled in the scenic Saint John River Valley where the cool waters of the Nackawic Stream meet the mighty Saint John. Nackawic gets its name from the Maliseet word meaning "straight" or "not in the direction it seems to be" alluding to the illusion created at the intersection of the Nackawic Stream and the Saint John River. Our Town sits at this bend where the Saint John River turns sharply Southeast and flows lazily through 65 km of Mactaquac Country to the Capital City of Fredericton.

Sitting on the banks of the Saint John River, the World’s Largest Axe reminds us of the importance of the forest industry to the Town and the Province of New Brunswick, and our commitment to forest management. Forestry Capital of Canada in 1991, our Town is surrounded with beautiful green space and wildlife. Whether it’s the breathtaking scenery, the many recreational activities, or our friendly people, Nackawic is sure to please everyone.

The Town of Nackawic is located 65 km west of the City of Fredericton on the north bank of the Saint John River in New Brunswick, Canada. The Town occupies an area of about 9 square kilometers and it is surrounded by the parishes of Southampton and Queensbury with the Village of Millville 10 km to the north.

Although the Town of Nackawic only has a population of 1049 people, it has an economic influence over approximately 8,000 people in the surrounding communities. Nackawic finds itself to be the perfect distance between bigger centres - Fredericton is about a 35 minute drive to the east while the Town of Woodstock is 25 minutes to the west. Nackawic has the best of both worlds - access to the facilities of bigger centres with the comfort of country living.

Nackawic has changed dramatically over the years as the result of two major influences, the Mactaquac Dam and the Nackawic Pulp Mill. In 1966, the Provincial Government decided to build a hydroelectric dam across the Saint John River at Mactaquac. Currently, this dam supplies the majority of the power to southern New Brunswick residents. When the dam was built, the Saint John River Valley was flooded from Mactaquac to Southampton. Nackawic was developed to allow people, displaced from the flood water, to have a place to settle.

The second major change was the opening of the Nackawic Pulp Mill. Due to Nackawic’s superbly suited geographic location, it was selected to be New Brunswick’s first model industrial community. The Mill opened in 1970.

The population in general, is made of approximately 90% English speaking people with the remaining 10% identifying themselves as French, bilingual or other. Further, the vast majority identify themselves as being of western European descent including British, Scottish, Irish, French or German. There are five places of worship including Sts. Simon & St. Jude Catholic Church, Wesleyan Church, Sure Life Assembly, Kirk United Church of Canada and United Baptist Church.

The Town of Nackawic is always interested in attracting new business and residents to its successful economic environment and tourists to its splendid natural beauty.